Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Alan Turing

One of my favorite movies is the Imitation Game. I suppose that's due to the fact that I see myself in Alan, who thought and acted differently from everyone around him. His character brings to light so many things that click in my brain and thoughts that I think. And maybe that's why I find him to be one of my favorite historians and characters. But I can't help but feel sorry for him at the same time. And he's right; just because someone thinks differently than you, doesn't mean they're not thinking. 

"Of course machines can't think as people do. A machine is different from a person. Hence, they think differently. The interesting question is, just because something, uh... thinks differently from you, does that mean it's not thinking? Well, we allow for humans to have such divergences from one another. You like strawberries, I hate ice-skating, you cry at sad films, I am allergic to pollen. What is the point of... different tastes, different... preferences, if not, to say that our brains work differently, that we think differently? And if we can say that about one another, then why can't we say the same thing for brains... built of copper and wire, steel?"

2 comments:

  1. I watched the Imitation Game too! It was very touching, and I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t wait to dive in and watch it! -M

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment down below! God bless you!